Recipe by Annacia
Make an old-fashioned country-style dinner in your slow cooker. Tart apples and saucy pork ribs make a sweet barbecue dinner. A splash of bourbon adds smoky flavor to this slow cooker recipe.
- 5 lbs country-style pork ribs
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup apple jelly
- 3⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 3 medium tart cooking apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Season ribs with salt and pepper; place in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl whisk together jelly, bourbon, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, vinegar, and the 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Pour bourbon mixture over ribs in the cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 hours or on high-heat setting for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add apples to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours more or on high-heat setting for 1-1/2 to 2 hours more or until apples and ribs are tender.
- To serve, transfer ribs to a serving platter. Strain cooking liquid and serve with ribs.