Recipe by JanuaryBride
A tasty dump cake recipe from Southern Living Weeknight Meals. What's more??? It's vegan! Top it off with some soy ice cream and you are good to go!
Top Review by magpie diner
This was a total mystery to me JB! Never made a "dump" cake before (ok, must think of better term...haha). I was thinking it would be more cake like, but it's of course more crumble like. Very very tasty, the flavours were fabulous together. I honestly was scratching my head thinking really, I just sprinkle the cake mix on, really..? I used homemade apple pie filling, not sure if that affected anything...perhaps because I was a few ounces short of 21, so some of the cake mixture on top didn't reach any liquid (I should have topped it up to 21 I guess). But that's the cook's fault! The only thing I would change with this is the amount of sugar because we all found it very very sweet...and I even cut down based on what other reviewers had said (in both areas). I'd definitely make again because I love the flavour combo...! (and I used walnuts - nice). Thanks for showing me something new JB!!
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling (may use sugar free)
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar (turbinado works great)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup light margarine, melted (may sub butter)
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread apple pie filling on bottom of 9 x13 baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together blueberries and 3/4 cup sugar; spoon over apple pie filling in pan.
- Sprinkle cake mix evenly over the fruit then drizzle with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.