Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A tasty dump cake recipe from Southern Living Weeknight Meals. What's more??? It's vegan! Top it off with some soy ice cream and you are good to go!
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling (may use sugar free)
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar (turbinado works great)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup light margarine, melted (may sub butter)
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread apple pie filling on bottom of 9 x13 baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together blueberries and 3/4 cup sugar; spoon over apple pie filling in pan.
- Sprinkle cake mix evenly over the fruit then drizzle with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
This was a total mystery to me JB! Never made a "dump" cake before (ok, must think of better term...haha). I was thinking it would be more cake like, but it's of course more crumble like. Very very tasty, the flavours were fabulous together. I honestly was scratching my head thinking really, I just sprinkle the cake mix on, really..? I used homemade apple pie filling, not sure if that affected anything...perhaps because I was a few ounces short of 21, so some of the cake mixture on top didn't reach any liquid (I should have topped it up to 21 I guess). But that's the cook's fault! The only thing I would change with this is the amount of sugar because we all found it very very sweet...and I even cut down based on what other reviewers had said (in both areas). I'd definitely make again because I love the flavour combo...! (and I used walnuts - nice). Thanks for showing me something new JB!!
Great, easy recipe. I only had a yellow cake mix on hand and it worked fine. I, too, only used the 3/4 c sugar and pecans instead of walnuts. YUM!
I absolutely love this recipe and so does everyone I have ever served it to! It's the easiest dessert I have ever made and every bit of it gets eaten-either by guests or ME!