Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Great for parties! This is a rich, wonderful offering for your guests that they will really, unabashedly, appreciate. Be prepared for the request for the recipe...
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 sharp apples, peeled,cored,and diced (Granny Smith)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 lbs cream cheese, at room temp
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup whiskey
- 12 ounces good blue cheese or 12 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- 5 eggs
- Right before you're ready to go to bed, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Then, spray oil inside a 9-inch spring-form pan (or a 2-quart soufflé dish), and dust the bottom and sides with 3 tablespoons of the Parmesan; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until it is crisp; remove, drain, crumble, and reserve (discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat).
- Add the onion to the bacon drippings in the pan and cook over medium heat until soft, about 2 min.
- Add the apples and continue cooking until the onion is very tender and the apple has lost its raw look, about 2 to 3 more minutes; remove from heat, add the garlic, green onion, salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until soft; mix in the vinegar, whiskey, blue cheese, remaining Parmesan, and eggs.
- Add salt, pepper, the reserved bacon, and reserved apple mixture and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place in the oven.
- Clean up and go to bed... when you awake 7 to 9 hours later, the cake will appear set, the top will have barely colored, and the surface will be flawless.
- Remove to a rack and cool in the pan for an hour, until the pan is cool enough to handle; cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and an inverted plate.
- Holding the plate tight to the pan, invert both; remove the pan and refrigerate the cake upside down for at least 1 hour (if necessary, the cake can stay refrigerated in this way all day).
- Invert a serving plate over the cheesecake and invert the whole thing.
- Remove the top plate and the paper; cover and refrigerate.
- Cut with a long sharp knife dipped in warm water to prevent sticking. Serve with crisp toasts and/or freshly wedged apples - makes 16 servings.
- Posted by PegW at Gail's Recipe Swap.