Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Although not listed in the ingredients, my Mom has been known to mix up a glaze with confectionary sugar to drizzle over this. She has a slight sweet tooth!
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups cooking apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine 2 cups sugar, oil, and eggs in a large bowl, beating with a whisk until blended. Stir in the apple, 1 cup pecans, and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to the apple mixture, stirring until blended (batter will be thick). Spread the batter into a greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan.
- Combine the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup pecans, and 1 tsp cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.
Delicious warm right out of the oven. Loaded with apples and lovely spiced flavor/smell.
These are so delicious!! I made 1/2 of the recipe and made them into muffins, as I am usually the only one that eats this type of food. I had one with some eggs today for brunch and then froze the rest, which I will pull out and reheat for breakfast with maybe a smear of cream cheese in the mornings. I will definitely make these again, but would almost mince the apples, so I get some in every bite and then would sprinkle the top with the pecans and then just use a shaker of cinnamon/sugar to put a light coating on top, as this was a bit much for me as a topping. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!!! Made for "For your Consideration Tag Game".