- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups cooking apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 2 cups sugar, oil, and eggs in a large bowl, beating with a whisk until blended. Stir in the apple, 1 cup pecans, and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to the apple mixture, stirring until blended (batter will be thick). Spread the batter into a greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan.
- Combine the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup pecans, and 1 tsp cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.