Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Quick and easy apple dessert
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 4 cups sliced tart apples
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg or 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 grated rind and lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- Butter a baking dish.
- Mix bread crumbs and butter together lightly with fork Put a layer of crumbs in the baking dish.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Toss with lemon juice.
- Mix the sugar, spices and rind.
- Spread half the apples over the crumbs, then half the sugar mixture.
- Repeat and cover with the rest of the crumbs.
- Add 1/2 cup hot water.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cover at first so that the crumbs will not brown too quickly.
- Serve with cream.