Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A thick stew with a very comforting flavour, this dish is just perfect for cold winter months.
- 1⁄2 lb eye of round roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (gluten-free)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole allspice
- 1 whole clove
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into chunks
- Brown beef in butter over medium heat.
- Add onions; cook until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with flour and salt.
- Gradually add water and apple juice.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Place the bay leaf, allspice, and clove in a cheesecloth bag; add to pot.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- Add carrots and apples; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until meat, carrots, and apples are tender.
- Discard spice bag and thicken with additional flour if desired.
Wonderful stew. I used Granny Smith apples. I had to use cranberry juice because I didn't have apple. Made for An Apple a Day.
I made this for dinner tonight and it turned out to be delicious!! I think I'll add another apple next time though since that was my favorite ingredient. Thanks for the recipe!!