Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Sweet with heat and excellent for wings! Takes less time than it appears and is worth the effort.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup peeled apple
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 2 teaspoons green peppers
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine first 6 ingredients and process the apple, onion, and green pepper in a food processor. Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is heating up,place all the Rub ingredients in a bowl and stir together with a spoon. Rub chicken wings on all sides with the spice mixture.
- Arrange chicken wings in a pan that you have lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- After wings have baked for 15 minutes, remove from oven, pour sauce over the wings making sure they are coated on all sides and return to oven.
- Bake for 20 more minutes turning occasionally (every 4 to 5 minutes) so that they are well coated.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
We really enjoyed these wings. This would be a 5 star recipe if the amount of wings were not omitted. I used a generous amount of wings (for 4 people with a few wings left over) and still didn't use half the seasoning, and the sauce was much too much. The seasoning rub and the sauce are fantastic, and the wings had great flavour. If only an approximate weight of wings were included so the nutrition facts were true, it would be 5 star.
I modified this recipe to suit my allergies. For the rub I omitted the chili powder and I used Daddy Sam's Original and Jalapeno Sawce mixed together. Very tasty and I think cooking at 425 degrees made them better than other recipes I have used that called for 350 degrees. Thanks for great recipe.
This recipe is absolutely delicious. I used chipotle chilli instead. It gave it a nice smoky flavour but was quite spicy. If you like heat then you will love the chipotle chilli in this dish.