Recipe by dicentra
This comes from Simple Foods for the Pack. Other fruits could be used instead of apple. Wouldn’t mango be awesome? Dried tart cherries would be tasty too!
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup dried apple
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash ground cloves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- At home: Combine the ingredients in a zip-locking plastic bag. Carry the honey separately.
- In camp: place the mixture in a cookpot and add 3 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.