Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This comes from Simple Foods for the Pack. Other fruits could be used instead of apple. Wouldn’t mango be awesome? Dried tart cherries would be tasty too!
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup dried apple
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash ground cloves (optional)
- At home: Combine the ingredients in a zip-locking plastic bag. Carry the honey separately.
- In camp: place the mixture in a cookpot and add 3 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.