Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These ribs are of the sweet variety, not hot. I like to use baby back ribs, but spare ribs are more economical :)
- 6 lbs spareribs
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) jar applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, chopped (this is for fresh, half the amount if using dry)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Pull the membrane off the back of each slap of ribs. Cut the ribs into serving-size pieces. Place in a large Dutch oven. Add water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain ribs, and set aside.
- Saute the onion and garlic in oil in a medium saucepan until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the sauce from the heat, and set aside.
- Grill the ribs over low coals for 40 minutes, turning frequently. After they have cooked for 40 minutes, baste with the sauce. Grill an additional 20 minutes or until they reach the desired level of doneness. (I wait until I can pull a bone out). Make sure you turn the ribs often and baste frequently with the sauce.
- Serve the ribs with the remaining sauce.
These ribs are yummy! I like to try different rib recipes because there are so many flavours that you can successfully use with them. I made half a batch and cut the BBQ time in about half because the ribs were kind of small and I didn't want them to dry out. This is a tasty sweet sauce and if you don't like the heat, this one's for you! Made for Newest Zaar tag game. Thanks breezermom! :)