This stuffing has a nice background note of orange and apples. You won't taste it in every bite, but once in a while, you have a taste and think, "HMMMM, what's that?" It's a nice balance of flavors with the bacon and the orange and apples. The spinach keeps it moist and heatthy. And, if you're like me, you always run out of room in the oven on Turkey Day. Use your crock pot for the dressing and you've solved the problem. I use a crock pot liner and there's no clean up. Also, the crock pot keeps the dressing moist. How many times have you had dry Thanksgiving dressing at a relative's house? Me, more than I can count. I promise you this dressing will be easy, no clean up, tasty and MOIST.
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 12 ounces chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3 Red Delicious apples
- 3 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 1 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup celery
- 8 slices precooked bacon
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Set crock pot on LOW.
- Thaw and drain spinach. Add to crock pot.
- Add both boxes of stuffing mix.
- Chop garlic and add.
- Clean, dry, and slice mushrooms.
- Clean and dice celery.
- Saute celery and mushrooms in 2 T olive oil or butter until lightly browned and celery is not crunchy.Add to crock pot.
- Chop bacon and add.
- Peel and core apples. Dice and add to pot.
- Add herbes de provence, orange marmelade, pepper and bay leaf.
- Add only TWO cups of chicken broth at this time. Reserve the last cup only if you feel the stuffing needs more juice. If it looks like it's getting dry, add the last cup one hour before serving.
- Leave cover on the crock pot. Stir once every hour. Cook on low 2-3 hours.