If you like apple pancakes and you like bacon, you’ll love the taste of these sweet, smoky pancakes. Any kind of apple works well. A quick cider syrup drizzled on top enhances the apple flavor
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- Combine cider, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a small bowl. Whisk egg, egg white and buttermilk in a large bowl.
- Stir in the dry ingredients, apples and bacon until just combined. (The batter will be thick.).
- Brush a large nonstick skillet with 1/2 teaspoon oil and place over medium heat until hot.
- Cooking 4 at a time, use about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake and gently spread it to make them about 3 inches in diameter.
- Cook until the edges are dry and bubbles begin to form, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent burning. Reheat the cider syrup, if desired, and serve with the pancakes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the syrup (Step 1) for up to 1 week. Reheat on low before serving.
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat.
Wow Annacia, were these pancakes good. The pancakes were delicious and definitely worth the extra effort. Thick, fluffy, full of tender apple and crispy apple smoked bacon smothered in homemade cider syrup. I also used fresh orchard cider it went beautifully with the pink lady apples I used. Thank you for sharing this gem. I will be making this again.
Wonderful, wonderful! Really enjoyed using raw apple cider (It's so much more flavorful!) & the Honey Crisp apple I used added greatly to the pancakes, which were a very tasty change of pace for us! A keeper of a recipe, for sure! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Great pancakes.. since I wemt apple picking the other day, and bought some home made cider from one of the orchards in the area, this was a great use for the cider. The syrup was a gem, to say the least, very flavorful..Used a red delicious apple for the apple, and the pancakes were nice, thick, and fluffy. Loved these. Made for a great breakfast along with a bacon friatta this morning. Made for PRMR tag.