Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tasty treat for breakfast or brunch. From the Ontario Milk Marketing Board.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, sliced
- 2 pears, peeled and sliced
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat butter in a large frying pan.
- Add onion and bacon and cook until softened.
- Stir in pears, apples and thyme, and cook until heated through.
- Place flour in a small bowl.
- Add eggs and remaining milk and beat until smooth.
- Whisk in salt.
- Spread fruit over bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Pour batter on top.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 30 minutes until puffed and lightly browned.
- Cut in squares and serve with warmed maple syrup.
I'm sorry my family really didn't care for this recipe. While everything was sautÃ©ing/baking the whole house smelled wonderful. From the title I thought the dish would have more of a pancake "cake like" texture. Instead it had more of an eggy/custard texture to it.
This is a tasty, unique alternative to the traditional egg casserole. The combination of flavors works well...the salty bacon balances the sweet apple and pears nicely.