Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I loved the flavour of this salad. Its got so many different layers its a real taste experience.
- 1 (10 ounce) package Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 red onion (chopped fine)
- 1⁄2 cup cabbage (sliced thin)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (roasted and chopped medium)
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled goat's cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 apple (cored and chopped fine)
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted and sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup English cucumber (fine dice)
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin orange sections (in pear juice)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄8 cup agave nectar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest (for dressing)
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast the walnuts at 350'F for about 7 minutes.
- FOR THE SALAD.
- In a medium bowl mix the toasted walnuts, red onion, goat cheese and 2 teaspoons of lemon zest. Form into a ball. Set aside on a plate.
- Cut up the avocado and put it on the plate with the goat cheese ball.
- Drain the liquid from the two cans of mandarin orange slices and save the liquid from one can. Put one can of the mandarin slices on the plate with the avocado and goat cheese ball. Set aside.
- Just before you serve the salad combine the spinach, apple, cabbage and English cucumber in a salad bowl.
- FOR THE DRESSING.
- Put one can of orange slices into the blender with the juice of 1/2 the lemon, the 1/2 teaspoons of lemon zest, agave nectar and the olive oil.
- Blend well. Put in a jar and set aside.
- PUT THE SALAD TOGETHER.
- Place the spinach, apple, cabbage cucumber mixture onto your plate. Top with some mandarin slices, avocado and bits of the goat cheese ball.
- Top with the Mandarin dressing.
- Bon Apetit.