Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great recipe when you have just one apple languishing in your fruit bowl and it is past the point where it would taste good eating it as is. This loaf is moist and delicious - a great accompaniment to a cup of coffee or tea.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 grated orange, juice and rind of
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1 large cooking apple
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 2 pound loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, bran and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the melted butter, sugar, eggs, orange rind and juice.
- Stir, then beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir in the walnuts and apricots.
- Peel, quarter and core the apple, chop it up roughly and add it to the mixture.
- Stir, then spoon into the prepared pan and level the top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool completely.