Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This appetizer or lunch is the $200 winner of the BH&G magazine's "Looks-Like-You-Fussed" category. Recipe courtesy Monica Glass.
- 1 (12 inch) Boboli pizza crusts
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium granny smith apples, cored and thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese (4 oz.) or 1 cup gruyere cheese (4 oz.)
- honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place bread shell on pizza pan.
- Bake 8 minutes or until hot.
- In large skillet cook shallots in hot oil for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in apples.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender.
- Stir in walnuts, 2 tablespoons honey, anise seeds, and dash ground black pepper.
- Spoon apple mixture evenly over bread shell.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 5 to 8 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Drizzle with additional honey.
- To serve, cut in wedges.
So unusual and delicious! I tried and added some rosemary and rose peppercorns on one side of the pizza, and that turned out really WOW, too.
Very, very different, & very, very tasty, too! I really enjoyed the combination of the apples, cheese & anise ~ Really nice, & it took very little time to put together! Thanks for the great recipe!