This recipe is from my friend Joan and is one of our favorites. I am guessing on the amounts for the salad ingredients. You can proportion them to taste or based on how many people you are feeding. The dressing recipe makes enough for two good-sized salads. You can make this a main dish salad by adding cooked chicken.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and torn
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) package feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 fuji apple, diced
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Proportion salad ingredients to personal taste.
- Combine dressing ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Toss dressing with salad just before serving.
LOVE THIS!! It is my new Favorite Salad. Light, crisp and full of flavors. Used head lettuce, cranberries and a Macintosh Apple - fresh, sweet, nutty, spicy and a little salty - all wrapped in mouthful!
Excellent salad!!!! I made a few substitutions for the salad by using green onion, granny smith apple and shredded monterey jack cheese as this is what I had on hand and needed to use up. I left the cranberries/raisins off due to family taste. The only change I might make next time is to use a little less honey in the dressing as it was a little on the sweet side for our tastes. I loved the combination of the flavors of the onion, apples and pecans!!!! Will definitely make this salad again!!! Thanks Al Al for a great recipe. Made for spring PAC 2008.
this was sooo good i made more of the dressing to keep on hand for a quick salad.thanks for the recipe