Recipe by Codychop
A SL recipe I'm posting on Zaar to try later--in a magical future where I will actually have time to try out all my Zaar recipes.
Top Review by Lynn T.
I had a recipe like this so I printed this one off as I couldn't find the first one. Do not use 8 1/2 cups of apples. My recipe calls for 6-8 apples and 6 is plenty. The bread should be sliced into 1 inch slices...not 1 1/2. The baking time is over one hour, so prepare for that. Chef #602947 from Punta Gorda, Florida
- 1 lb loaf French bread, unsliced or 1 lb Italian bread
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 8 1⁄2 cups apples, sliced and peeled
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice bread 1 1/2" thick and arrange in 13X9 dish.
- Beat together eggs, 1/2 c sugar, milk, and vanilla/ Pour half of this over the bread.
- Arrange the sliced apples over the bread to cover. Pour the rest of the egg mix over the apples.
- Mix together the remaining sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg--sprinkle over the apples and dot with butter.
- Let chill overnight.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.