Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
From Gooseberry Patch Holidays at Home.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 lb herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat (add oil to skillet if needed); crumble the sausage while browning.
- Transfer sausage to a large bowl, using a slotted spoon.
- Add onion, celery, apple, and 1 tablespoon oil (if needed) to the skillet.
- Stir/saute until tender; remove skillet from heat.
- Add water and margarine to a saucepan; bring to a boil; remove pan from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine stuffing mix with water/margarine mixture; toss lightly until moist throughout (add more water if you prefer moister stuffing).
- Add fennel seeds to stuffing mixture; stir to blend.
- Add stuffing mixture and onion mixture to the large bowl with sausage; mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
This is awesome! I made this for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit! I'm not even a fan of stuffing and I found myself stuffing my face with it! Thank you for once again another great recipe! NurseDi, your recipes rock! :)