Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I don't know the original source for this recipe but know that it comes from the middle ages.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- lemon juice
- 6 cups sliced apples
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 double crust pie crust
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare crust.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, lemon zest and flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Arrange apple slices in layers with sausage slices over bottom crust, sprinkling it all with the flour mixture.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and dot with butter.
- Place top crust over filling. Fold edges under bottom crust to seal and place slits to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven to 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes till apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- NOTE: 2 7lb cans of apple slices is enough for 10 pies. 1 pie = 8 servings.
This was good, I like the idea of the sweetness with the sausage meat. I made as stated which I do not usually do, the next time I make it I will do some changes on it though, thanks MG!...Kitten