1/4 Photos of Apple and Rosemary Tart
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
It's hard to believe how delicious this very simple tart is -- don't be tempted to spice it up. I have made it many times and it is never fail. From Susan Hermann Loomis.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Pastry
- 354.88 ml flour
- 2.46 ml coarse salt
- 103.53 ml unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 73.94-88.74 ml ice water
For the Filling
For the Egg Wash
- 1For the Pastry:.
- 2Place the flour and salt in a good sized bowl.
- 3Add the butter bit by bit and blend till the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 4Add the water bit by bit until the dough forms a ball.
- 5Wrap in cling-film and let the dough sit at room temperature for one hour.
- 6Note: The dough can be frozen and then, when you want it, thaw in the refrigerator.
- 7Note 2: The dough can be made in a food processor or a stand mixer, but do not over-mix.
- 8Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- 9Lightly flour your work surface and roll the dough out into a 14" circle.
- 10Roll the pastry around your rolling pin and un-roll in a 9 1/2", removable-bottom tart tin, with the edges of the pastry overlapping evenly all around.
- 11Gently fit the pastry against the sides of the tin.
- 12Make the Filling:.
- 13Mince the rosemary.
- 14Place half the apples in the tart tin.
- 15Sprinkle with half the sugar and all the rosemary.
- 16Top with the remaining apples and the remaining sugar.
- 17Bring the edges of the crust up and over the apples--it will partially cover the top of the tart.
- 18Whisk together the egg and the water and brush the exposed pastry with the wash (you won't need much--use the rest for a tiny omelette.
- 19Place the tart tin on a cookie sheet and bake in the lower third of the oven until the pastry is golden and the apples are softened and juicy, about 30 minutes.
- 20Remove from the oven and place the tart tin on an over-turned bowl to remove the sides.
- 21Let the tart cool to lukewarm or room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple and Rosemary Tart
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.9
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 70.8 mg
- Sodium 209.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 36.7 g
- Protein 4.7 g