Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
Everybody has a favourite recipe for Apple Crumble, and this is ours. Quick, simple and totally delicious....
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, I use soft dark
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 75 g unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Put apples, raisins, juice and brown sugar in a medium sized saucepan, and cook over a medium heat for about 15 mins or until the apples are soft.
- Transfer to 6 3/4 cup ramekins or a 1.5L capacity dish.
- Put flour, caster sugar and oats into a large bowl and stir well.
- Add the butter and rub lightly until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Scatter over apple mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes if using ramekins, or 35-40 minutes in the dish or until golden and crisp.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or custard.
I used this recipe for our Thanksgiving dessert yesterday (Canadian Thanksgiving) and 3 of us wiped it out before bedtime. In order to lower added sugar as much as possible it used 1/3 cup of Splenda Brown in the fruit and Splenda granular in the topping. Used gorgeous crisp and perfect Gala apples and added 1 rounded tsp of cinnamon, 3/4 tsp of ginger paste to the fruit. The liquid was 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup of lemon juice. It earned top marks all around. I might add that for myself I would use half the amount of raisins next time only because they are such concentrated little bundles of sugar. Believe me there were no complaints at all with the full amount, lol. The recipe works beautifully. :D
I made this for the hubby...I cut it in thirds...so he got 1 1/2 servings...he said it was overly sweet...and had a tad to many raisins in it...but he ate the whole thing with whipped cream on top...go figure...thanks for posting it...next time I'll cut back on the sweetness and the raisins...=)
I had just made some apple pie filling so used that, added raisins in and proceeded with the topping which was delicious! I scaled this down for two and ate it all by myself. Thanks!