Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great with meat or as a sandwich spread. Pol Martin Cookbook.
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 5 apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 lemon rind, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup orange rind, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup candied ginger, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green grape, sliced and seedless
- 1 garlic clove, smahed and chopped
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- place vinegar in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. add apples and partly cover, cook 5 minutes.
- mix remaining ingredients and continue cooking, partly covered for 13 minutes.
- stir several times during cooking.
- cool and serve with meat or use as a sandwich spread.
Fabulous Daisy! Ticked all my chutney boxes, and I am a BIG chutney maker, I make lbs and lbs every year!! I made a couple of slight changes; cut this back to half, well, 3 apples! I also left the mango out - it is not in season right now and for me, it was the odd ingredient out!! Absolutely LOVED the addition of the citrus fruits and grapes - they added a real depth to this recipe. I like my chutney to mature - but this has bags of flavour already. We tried it out with a cheese platter, and it was tangy and full of Autumn flavours. Made for An Apple a Day in the Cooking Photos Forum, and very much enjoyed! Merci Daisy-kins! FT:-)