1/3 Photos of Apple and Pomegranate Tart Tartin
2 hrs 30 mins
Source: Bon Appétit (October 2008)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2Blend first 3 ingredients in processor 5 seconds.
- 3Add chilled butter and blend until coarse meal forms; add creme fraiche.
- 4Blend, using on/off turns, until moist clumps form.
- 5Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk.
- 6Wrap; chill 1 hour.
- 7Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to 11-inch-diameter round.
- 8Slide onto rimless baking sheet, cover, and chill until ready to use, up to 1 day.
- 10Boil pomegranate juice in heavy large saucepan until reduced to scant 1 cup syrup, about 15 minutes.
- 11DO AHEAD: Pomegranate syrup can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.
- 12Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F
- 13Spread room-temperature butter evenly over bottom and up sides of heavy medium oven-proof skillet (10 inches across top; 8 inches across bottom; 21/4 inches deep).
- 14Sprinkle sugar evenly over butter.
- 15Cook over medium heat without stirring until mixture bubbles all over, about 3 minutes.
- 16Remove from heat.
- 17Stand apple quarters on 1 end around edge of skillet, leaning 1 cut edge against pan side and fitting snugly.
- 18Stand as many apples in center as will fit.
- 19Sprinkle apples with allspice and salt.
- 20Cook apples over medium-high heat without stirring until thick, deep-amber syrup bubbles up, adding any remaining apples as space permits (apples will shrink as they cook), about 20 minutes.
- 21Pour 1/4 cup pomegranate syrup over (mixture will bubble).
- 22Cook until juices thicken again, 4 to 5 minutes (syrup will be deep amber).
- 23Remove from heat.
- 24Using spatula, press apples gently toward center, then down to compact.
- 25Slide crust over apples.
- 26Press crust down around apples at edge of skillet.
- 27Cut 4 slits in top for steam to escape.
- 28Bake tart until crust is brown and juices at edge are thick and dark scarlet in color, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 29Remove skillet from oven; let stand 1 minute.
- 30Place large plate over skillet.
- 31Using oven mitts and holding plate and skillet firmly together, invert tart onto plate.
- 32Carefully lift off skillet.
- 33Return any apples to tart that may be stuck in skillet.
- 34Let cool at least 15 minutes.
- 35Serve tarte Tatin warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream and drizzle of remaining pomegranate syrup.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple and Pomegranate Tart Tartin
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.8
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 48.3 mg
- Sodium 106.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 50.2 g
- Protein 2.4 g