Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Applesauce "kicked-up" a notch or two. Great with your favorite pork dishes.
- 2 granny smith apples
- 2 bartlett pears
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Core, peel, and chunk apples and pears.
- Place in 2-quart sauce pan.
- Add apple juice, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg.
- Cover, simmer until chunks are fork tender.
- Mash with fork, leaving some chunks.
- Add honey to taste.
- Serve hot or refrigerated.
Great way to get rid of ripened fruit! I used red delicious apples and added a little sugar to cut the tartness. I also added some ground cinnamon for an extra kick. Excellent!
this is very good. i used canned pears, and fresh tiny granny apples. this recipe works for just by its self applesauce, or over pork chops. it does make your mouth pucker a bit, though!