Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a light-tasting, not-too-sweet dessert from Every Night Italian by Guiliano and Marcella Hazan.
- Preheat oven to 325. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9-inch baking dish that is at least 2 inches deep, or a 9-inch springform pan.
- Put the eggs and egg yolks and the sugar in the bowl of a mixer. Beat at a high speed till you see pale yellow ribbons form.
- Mix in the rum and vanilla. Add the flour and mix well. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream to firm peaks, then fold it carefully into the egg mixture with a rubber spatula. Pour the batter into the buttered dish.
- Peel and core the apple and pear and slice them crosswise into thin half moons. Arrange over the batter in the baking dish, alternating the apple and pear slices.
- Do not be concerned if they sink into the mixture - they will all eventually be embedded in it.
- Place in the preheated oven and bke till the top has turned golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or chilled.