1/3 Photos of Apple and Pear Crumble
1 hr 5 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This great dessert is from The New Vegetarian Epicure. I've used it with several combinations of fruit - basically whatever I have on hand - and it's always been good. While the apple and pear combination is excellent, I've also had great results with mixed berries (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, cherries). An easy dessert with ingredients you probably have on hand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 tart apples
- 4 -5 pears (if using other mixed fruits instead, just be sure to have about 4 lbs total)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash cinnamon (or any other spice you love!)
- 1Prepare fruit (peel, pit, whatever it takes). If large, cut into 1/4 thick slices.
- 2Toss in a bowl with lemon juice, sugar and raisins and a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon (I usually add allspice because I love it).
- 3Combine the flour, sugar, salt and spices.
- 4Cut in the butter and mix till mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. There should be no big chunks of butter left. (I usually do this with my hands - don't have a food processor).
- 5Sprinkle in the ice water, mix till the crumble mixture holds together and forms little clumps.
- 6Add the rolled oats and mix. If the mixture seems sticky, add more oats.
- 7Spread fruit evenly in a large glass or ceramic baking dish.
- 8Scatter topping evenly over the fruit, leaving some of it in larger chunks and some in fine crumbles.
- 9Bake the Crumble at 375 for about 40-45 minutes or until the top is crisp and brown and the juice is bubbling up around the edges.
- 10Serve it hot or warm, with ice cream, whipped cream, or all by itself.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple and Pear Crumble
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.3
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 19.0 mg
- Sodium 92.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 58.8 g
- Protein 3.5 g