Recipe by mummamills
great with pork, hot or cold. Inspired by one of Bergy's recipes.
Top Review by Adrienne in Reisterstown
Ok -- I'm a FoodTV junkie and especially a Rachael Ray fan. So if you will pardon my obviously stolen words, all I can say about this recipe is, "OH MY GRAVY"!!! This was awesome. I used vidalia onions, fuji apples and I swapped out the white vinegar in favor of apple cider vinegar using 1 tablespoon instead of 2 (only because my family tends more to the sweet than tangy side. I sauteed it down til the onions and apples began to actually get that brown edge bottom of the pan crusty thing going. You know what I mean? Now here's the kicker -- how we ate them. You won't believe it. We topped turkey burgers with the onions and apples, melted swiss cheese and some crispy bacon strips. YUM-OOOOOO!!! Total total total keeper recipe. THANK YOU!!! Made for the Auzzie/NZ Recipe Swap #25.
- 1 big brown onion, sliced thinly
- 2 big granny smith apples, sliced and cored
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- saute sliced onion in 1 tablespoon butter, over very low heat, for about 20 minutes.
- remove with slotted spoon.
- melt 1 tablespoon of butter and lightly saute the apple slices untill golden and slightly soft.
- turn up the heat and add the onions to the pan.
- sprinkle with sugar, add vinegar.
- stir to combine, put on lid, turn off heat.
- leave for about 10 mins before serving, or cooling.