Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is one prepared by Jeannie Rankin on Saturday Kitchen. I have not tried it yet myself but it looks and sounds delicious and I plan on trying it very soon
- 2 1⁄4 lbs onions, roughly chopped
- 500 ml cider (medium dry)
- 2 bramley apples, peeled and chopped (soak in a little cider to avoid discolouring)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 2 liters chicken stock
- 225 g potatoes, peeled and diced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons crumbled Stilton cheese
- Add the butter and onions to a saucepan and allow the onions to cook gently on a medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until they are soft and lightly browned.
- Add the apple, cider and cider vinegar. Boil until the cider has reduced by about half. Add the thyme, bay leaf, chicken stock, potato and a little salt. Bring to a simmer, and then cook out for about 15 minutes over a low heat.
- Remove the bay leaf, and purée the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Check the seasoning, adding salt and pepper as necessary.
- To serve, ladle the hot soup into warm bowls. Crumble over a tablespoon of the stilton to each bowl.