Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 15 g unsalted butter
- 4 dessert apples, peeled,cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 liter ready custard
- 2 butter madeira poundcake, cut into slices 1 cm thick
- 50 g orange marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5.
- Place a saucepan over a moderate heat.
- Add the butter, apples and cinnamon and cook gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the custard into the saucepan and heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat.
- Lay half the cake slices into a 1litre ovenproof dish and pour over the apple custard.
- Spread the marmalade over the remaining cake slices and cut each piece in half, diagonally.
- Lay the slices down the centre of the dish.
- Cover the dish with foil.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes.
- Heat a grill to a hot setting.
- When the pudding is cooked, place under the hot grill for 1 minute to colour the surface.
- Serve hot or cold with cream or ice cream.