Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a classic recipe that has been tweaked by adding an apple and honey topping for and even better recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grd cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup apple, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease a 2 quart baking dish; set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, baking soda and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat margarine for 30 seconds; add 1 cup honey and eggs, beat till smooth. Add flour mixture and orange juice alternately to the beaten mixture, beating on low speed until just combined. Pour batter into a prepared pan. Bake for 20 minute.
- Sprinkle cake with apples after 20 minutes baking. Bake another 15-20 minutes more or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. In a small saucepan or microwave heat the 3 tbsp honey just until warm; drizzle over cake. Cool completely/.
- **Note - you can use 1/2 cup dried apples that have been snipped. While the cake is cooking just add boiling water to the dried apples. Let stand for 15 minutes; drain well and follow directions to finish making the cake.