Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
These are an adaption of a recipe that I found in a Reader's Digest recipe booklet. I am listing these with gluten free options. If using a gluten flour these will probably turn out a little thinner. They are packed with lots of healthy, high fiber ingredients for a healthier you. I served this with a mixed berry sauce sweetened with a couple of tablespoons pure maple syrup.
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, or
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, gluten free blend
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I used Organic Evaporated Cane Juice.)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large apple, washed, cored and finely chopped
- cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, flax seed meal, salt, soda, baking powder and sugar.
- Make a well in the center and add in egg and gradually mix in the buttermilk until desired consistency. Fold in the apple and chopped nuts. Allow batter to rest while preheating the griddle.
- Preheat a cast iron griddle until it sizzles. Spray lightly with cooking spray and drop batter onto seasoned griddle using a 1/4 cup measure. Cook until bubbles form on top, turn and continue to cook until done.
- Serve with berries or warmed maple syrup.
i like these alot,i even have a similar recipe lol i ground the nuts instead of chopping ,it just distributes them more evenly mr picky ate them all up . zwt 9
Not only are these pancakes healthy and hearty, they are delicious! I used regular flour and sugar, and they rose nicely. Made for Mike and the Appliance Killers ZWT9.
I had no other reason to make these gluten-free other than that I wanted to see how they would turn out, & let me tell you, they were very satisfying! I pretty much followed your recipe & even made a syrup with some frozen mixed berries I always have on hand for smoothies! Very nice tasting pancakes! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag]