Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This is a good combination. The tartness of the apples goes nicely with the cheese and ham, and the crunch of the walnuts make this a yummy sandwich.
- 8 slices of homemade bread or 8 slices a rustic country bread
- 8 slices provolone cheese or 8 slices American cheese
- 4 slices deli ham
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- soft butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine apples, mayonnaise, and walnuts.
- Place one slice of cheese on four slices of bread.
- Layer each with 1/3 cup of apple mixture; then a slice of ham and another of cheese.
- Put remaining bread on top.
- Butter the outside and cook in a large skillet over medium heat till both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted.