Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
I made and canned this for Christmas gifts one year - then I got requests for more! A very pretty, and unusual, relish. This recipe is from: http://www.the4cs.com/--cathy/Apples/relish.html
- 8 cups apples, ground
- 16 cups green tomatoes, ground
- 8 cups onions, ground
- 5 cups sugar
- 5 cups vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Grind the apples, tomatoes and onions (or dice them very small), then measure and put into a large kettle.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring frequently.
- After cooking for 1 1/2 hours, ladle into clean, hot pint-size canning jars. Seal in a hot-water bath for 15 minutes. Makes about 10 pints.
"Kick it up a notch" by adding chopped pickled ginger to final product. Tumeric is new to my spice cabinet and I'm glad I used it here. Taste improves with aging. Thanks.
- chopped, didn't grind - made full batch - tastes great - next time will use less sugar, maybe 3 or 4 cups
This recipe was originally posted to the web by Cathy Anderson (http://www.the4cs.com/~cathy/Apples/relish.html). The recipe has been in her family for over 40 years.