Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this while surfing the net one day, PERHAPS it was an OMEN that came my way! LOVE Warm Gingerbread, GREAT for Chistmas too! Sending this recipe your way with VERY special wishes, TRUE!
- 440 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (Softened)
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 5 ounces molasses
- 160 ml milk
- 3 lbs dessert apples (I use Granny Smiths)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb toasted nuts (Slivered Almonds or Finely Crushed Walnuts or Hazelnuts are nice!)
- Mix Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Ginger, and Allspice in bowl.
- In separate bowl, beat butter and 4 Tablspoons Sugar until smooth.
- In third bowl, Mix milk and Molasses together.
- Mix third bowl into the Butter Mixture and then FOLD combined mixture into the Flour Mixture.
- Pour into a pan (I use an 8" x 8" x 2") that is lined with Wax Paper.
- Bake in oven at 350 F for about 35- 40 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and remove the Gingerbread to a rack to cool.
- Peel, core and dice apples in small pieces.
- Put them into a pot with 4 Tablespoons of Sugar and 1/2 cup Water.
- COVER and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to stir continuously until mixture STARTS to thicken.
- WHIP Cream and 4 Tablespoons of Sugar until it forms Peaks.
- PLACE slices of Gingerbread, Applesauce on top and Whipped Cream on top of that in bowl and repeat in layers until bowl is full.
- NOTE: ROUNDED Glass Bowl makes lovely presentation!
- TOP with toasted nuts and CHILL for about an hour!
I was about to post this recipe, then saw that it was already here! I will tell you it is heavenly - sweet and spicy and creamy all rolled into one! I made this in individual serving glasses and the whole family loved it!
Delicious! Perfect for Christmas Day and that is exactly what I made it for. I was a little strapped for time and ended up making the "gingerbread" from a boxed mix but followed everything else as directed. I toasted some slivered almonds and walnut pieces. Everyone loved it. Great recipe, thank you!