Recipe by kittycatmom
So good, and good for you!!! Apples for breakfast! Yummy!!!!! II'm always trying to get more fiber in our diet. This recipe does this that with out the "yuk" factor! from HyVee.com **Update -- it seems that the quantity is incorrect, so I'm changing it from 24 to 16. :)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 2 eggs (separated, with whites beaten stiffly)
- 1 1⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup pared & shredded apple (shredded just prior to adding to batter)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ground flax, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat together the egg yolks, milk and melted butter.
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Shred the apple and add to the batter. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Preheat griddle or heavy fry pan to medium heat. Lightly grease pan or spray with nonstick vegetable spray.
- Using a 1/3-cup measure, pour batter onto pan.
- Cook pancakes until bubbles appear on the surface - about 1 minute.
- Turn pancakes over and brown on the other side.