Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Super Food Ideas Magazine - kids love it!!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 185 g butter, chilled, cubed
- 1 egg
- 450 g stewed apples
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease and line a 3cm deep, 24cm X 29.5cm (base) laminton pan.
- Process flours, icing sugar and butter to resemble breadcrumbs. Add egg. Process until dough comes together. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead lightly.
- Press two-thirds of dough into prepared pan. Refrigerate. Wrap remaining dough in plastic wrap. Place into freezer until firm.
- Spread apple over dough base. Sprinkle with currants, brown sugar and cinnamon. Grate frozen dough over top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Cool in pan, then cut into squares to serve.
This is a very tasty, not overly sweet slice. It was really easy to make too, I just threw the base ingredients into my mixer and it was done. Used a tin of bakers apples instead of the stewed apple. Thanks Jacqui, my daughter will love this in her lunchbox this week.