Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
**Adopted Recipe** "Cooking" time includes the two rising times.
Top Review by mianbao
I followed the recipe strictly for this cake, both as to ingredients and amounts. It came out looking pretty as a picture and tastes very nice, too. However, the cream cheese mixture never got very firm although the sweet bread and the apples are cooked through. If I make this again I think I will make up only about half of the cream cheese mixture, and add a little vanilla to it. I might use more sugar with the apples, too.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups flour, unbleached, unsifted
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups apples, tart, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour, unbleached
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- CAKE: Mix yeast, salt, 4 T sugar, and 3/4 cup flour.
- Add butter to milk.
- Heat until very warm (120-130 degrees F.).
- Gradually add milk to flour mixture.
- Beat for 2 minutes.
- Add egg and 1/2 cup flour.
- Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Mix in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead for 5 to 10 minutes, until dough is shiny and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Pat dough into well-greased 10-inch springform pan pressing the dough 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan.
- FILLING: Toss apples with lemon juice, cinnamon, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 T of flour.
- Arrange in rows on top of the dough.
- Beat together cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and egg.
- Spread over apples.
- Let rise in warm place for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.
- Best when served warm.