Recipe by Scarlett516
I found this on an Australian food blog. If you don't have self-raising/rising flour you may use all-purpose flour, just add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt to each cup all-purpose flour.
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 75 g of chilled butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 gala apples or 2 pink lady apples, grated
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 banana, sliced when serving
- golden syrup or maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- Grease a baking tray and line it with parchment paper, then set aside.
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the grated apple and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the milk and cold water, stir with a wooden spoon until you have a sticky dough.
- Either turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth, about 4 times.
- Shape into a 15-20 cm (6-8 inches) round and placed on baking tray. Rub some flour on a sharp knife and score the damper into 8 wedges.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Tap the bread, and if it sounds hollow it's ready.
- Allow bread to stand on tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Slice and serve with butter, sliced banana and drizzled with maple syrup or golden syrup.