Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
A tasty cake from Taste of the Caribbean. Posted for ZWT III. This cake is nice, but ended up a bit dry when made according to the original recipe - I reduced the amount of flour a bit and baked it for a much shorter time - may have to play around with it a bit more.
Top Review by mary winecoff
We didn't think the cake was dry at all! My son and I baked this last night and we were very scared it would overflow our 9 inch deep dish pie pan. In fact, the next time I will make it in a 9 x 13 inch pan. The very middle did not get all the way done so I think that spreading the cake out will help a lot. Great taste. We loved the topping.
- 1 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 large tart apples
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I added some allspice and cloves as well)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350.
- grease a 10-inch round cake pan.
- To make crumble topping:.
- mix the sugar, flour, cinnamon and coconut in a bowl, rub in butter with fingertips till mixture resembles bread crumbs. set aside.
- put the butter and sugar in a bowl and cream with an electric mixer till light and fluffy.
- beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, adding a little of the flour if mixture begins to curdle.
- sift in half of remaining flour, mix well, then add in rest of flour and stir till smooth.
- Peel and core the apples, then grate them coarsely. Place the grated apples in a bolw and sprinkle with cinnamon, and set aside.
- spread half the cake mixture evenly over the base of the prepared pan.
- spoon the apples on top and sprinkle over half the crumb topping.
- spread the remaining cake mixture over the crumble and finally top with remaining crumble topping.
- bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, covering cake with foil if it browns too quickly.
- leave in pan for about 5 minutes before turning out onto wire rack. serve when cool.