Recipe by nortocbaking101
This recipe is from Nigella's newest book Kitchen. It really is a breakfast muffin and it tastes hardier so if you want a sweet muffin it is not for you. I've tried to make it healthier.
- 2 apples, any kind that you like best
- 250 g spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 125 g brown sugar, use an extra 4 for sprinkling
- 125 ml honey
- 60 ml plain fat-free yogurt
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 65 ml applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 75 g natural almonds, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees farenheit, line 12 tin muffin tin with paper liners.
- Peel and core apples, then chop into small pieces about 1cm each and put them to one side.
- Measure the flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoons of the ground cinnamon into a bowl.
- whisk together 125g brown sugar, honey, yogurt, veg. oil and eggs in another bowl.
- Use the chopped almonds and add 1/2 of them to the flour mix, put the leftover almonds into a small bowl and add the 1 teaspoons of cinnamon and the 4 teaspoons of brown sugar.
- Fold wet ingredients into the dry, add apples but just stir to combine.
- Spoon into the muffin cups, then add some of that topping you made for each muffin
- Bake about 20min or until finished.
- let stand in tin for 10 min before placing them onto a cooling rack.