I found this recipe on the net a few years ago. It reminds me of a soup I had when living in Harvard, Mass. Serve with a salad, hot bread and butter-and white wine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves, slightly curmbled
- 1/4 cup peanut oil or 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 ounces chopped ham (optional)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 tart apples, peeled,cored and chopped
- 1 cup white port or 1 cup white wine
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 lbs shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled for garnish
- snipped chives (to garnish)
- 1Tie the first 4 ingredients together ina spice bag-set aside.
- 2In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat.
- 3Add the ham and veggies, saute for 5 minutes.
- 4Add the apples and cover for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Add the port and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6Add the stock and herb bag, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 7Remove spice bag.
- 8Meanwhile fry bacon and set aside.
- 9Mix together in a small bowl the butter-at room temp-and the flour.
- 10Whisk into the soup.
- 11Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 12Add the Cheese, stirring constantly until melted.
- 13Using a hand held blender"smooth" the soup.
- 14Taste and adjust with salt if needed.
- 15Offer crumbled bacon and chives at the table, for garnish.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple and Cheddar Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (740 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 961.0
- Calories from Fat 596
- Total Fat 66.3 g
- Saturated Fat 34.1 g
- Cholesterol 154.8 mg
- Sodium 1722.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 25.2 g
- Protein 37.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: