Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From High Tech Jewish Cooking. Haven't tried this one yet. It's a vegetable (and fruit) side dish. I've had tzimmes with chunks but this one has shredded apples and carrots which makes it a bit different.
- 4 apples, quartered, cored, cut into large chunks
- 1 lb carrot, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon barley
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Insert shredding disc in food processor and shred apples and carrots.
- Put all ingrdients into saucepan.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours, or until tender. Stir occasionally, adding more water if necessary.
- Serve hot.
I didn't actually shred the apples and the carrots but left them as chunks so I ended up with carrots chunks in apple puree!!!It was very nice all the same - I particularly liked the spices in it.