Recipe by DDW
Crisp fresh and so delicate with the Butter Lettuce. Quick and easy to put together. One of my family's favorites. Easily made into a meal with some roasted chicken or other meat added to it. From January '12 Bon Appetit magazine.
Top Review by Mommaredkat
This was the second time I made this salad. I thought it was too good to be true that a salad could garner so many compliments at its first dinner party. But making it the second time for a completely different set of dinner guests and receiving the same high praises, convinced me this was definitely going to be a favorite recipe. My pantry was barren of pomegranate seeds, blue cheese and tarragon, so I used cranberries instead of pomegranate seeds, feta cheese instead of blue cheese and omitted the tarragon.
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (Kosher)
- 2 heads butter lettuce, leaves gently torn
- 1 1⁄2 cups glazed walnuts, I use pecans but any other nut would be good
- 1 apple, quartered cored and thinly sliced (Honeycrisp or Fuji)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled (Stilton or Maytag)
- 1⁄4 cup tarragon leaf (I don't use)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wisk vinegar, honey, shallot, and mustard in medium bowl.
- Gradually wisk in oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place torn lettuce in a large bowl.
- Add vinaigrette, nuts, and apple.
- Toss to coat.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, tarragon (if using) and cheese.