Recipe by Galley Wench
This is our favorite salad . . . sometimes we just make a meal out of it! Note: I've found that the romaine is best (very crisp) if it's soaked in ice water for approximately 30 minutes, then spin dry. I use my Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing however a good quality bottled blue cheese dressing can be substituted
Top Review by Mrs.Jack
DELICIOUS!!! What a great recipe-so versatile, too. I've made it twice now-the 1st was exactly as written and the 2nd I used baby spinach, red delicious apple, added grated carrot and diced avocado and used candied pecans instead of almonds. The dressing is wonderful-I made w/ evoo, lemons, low fat yogurt, and cayenne. DH requested to keep this one as a regular! Thank you so much for a great recipe!!!
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 granny smith apple, diced (or similar)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream or 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 -4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled into small pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 dash louisiana hot sauce (to taste) or 1 dash ground cayenne pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- (See Recipe #175543).
- In a small mixing bowl, beat together the oil and mayonnaise until completely blended.
- Add the lime juice and beat some more.
- Add vinegar and beat again.
- Stir in sour cream, blue cheese, salt and hot sauce.
- Serve over your favorite salad.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- In a large salad bowl mix together the lettuce, apples, onions and craisins.
- Toss with salad dressing.
- Serve on chilled plates, topped with almonds and blue cheese crumbles.