This is our favorite salad . . . sometimes we just make a meal out of it! Note: I've found that the romaine is best (very crisp) if it's soaked in ice water for approximately 30 minutes, then spin dry. I use my Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing however a good quality bottled blue cheese dressing can be substituted
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 granny smith apple, diced (or similar)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream or 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 -4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled into small pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 dash louisiana hot sauce (to taste) or 1 dash ground cayenne pepper (to taste)
- (See Recipe #175543).
- In a small mixing bowl, beat together the oil and mayonnaise until completely blended.
- Add the lime juice and beat some more.
- Add vinegar and beat again.
- Stir in sour cream, blue cheese, salt and hot sauce.
- Serve over your favorite salad.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- In a large salad bowl mix together the lettuce, apples, onions and craisins.
- Toss with salad dressing.
- Serve on chilled plates, topped with almonds and blue cheese crumbles.
DELICIOUS!!! What a great recipe-so versatile, too. I've made it twice now-the 1st was exactly as written and the 2nd I used baby spinach, red delicious apple, added grated carrot and diced avocado and used candied pecans instead of almonds. The dressing is wonderful-I made w/ evoo, lemons, low fat yogurt, and cayenne. DH requested to keep this one as a regular! Thank you so much for a great recipe!!!
MADE FOR ZWT4. Never one for lowfat anything, I made the dressing with sour cream. I used a local blue cheese called "Blue Rock", which is very nice indeed, white with blue veins, and not too salty. I used cider vinegar instead of red wine vinegar (for the lighter colour). Added some superfine sugar as we prefer a not-too-acidic dressing. I could not get romaine (Called Cos in South Africa), but used a mixed bag of different types lettuces. Also, those cranberries ... I've seen them here, but never actually bought them! So I used seedless raisins instead. My DH was pleased -- he can live on salads! -- because this one was different from my usual lettuce-tomato-cuke-onion salad!!! Nice tastes -- blue cheese goes so well with apple! Thanks!
We love blue cheese and this salad was fantastic.I didn't have craisins and used raisins as well as toasted pine nuts.I followed the rest of the recipe;Blue cheese in the dressing and blue chhese in the salad; can't go wrong with that.;love the cruncyapple. I bought some craisins for next time and there will be one soon. Thanks for sharing his winner.I made this fo WT4.