Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
As soon as I'm off my diet, I'm going to make this. It's from Leith's Recipe of the Day in the Daily Mail. Notes from the recipe say: blackcurrants are high in vitamin C. And although they can be sharp, that edge is lost in the deliciousness of this crumble. Choose a dish so that the crumble mixture comes to the top, ensuring it browns in the oven. Leith's used 250g hard butter fudge, chopped into small pieces- Sainsbury's Taste the Difference hard butter fudge. The system wouldn't take this descripion.
- 900 g cooking apples
- 225 g black currants, destalked
- 2 ounces demerara sugar
For the crumble
- 225 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 140 g butter
- 45 g granulated sugar
- 250 g hard butter fudge
- Peel and core the apples. Cut into chunks. Mix with the blackcurrants. Add demerara sugar and tip into an ovenproof dish.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Preheat a baking sheet.
- Sift the flour with the salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter and when the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs, mix in the sugar. Stir through the fudge pieces. Sprinkle with mixture over the apples and blackcurrants.
- Bake on the baking sheet for 45 minutes or until hot and slightly browned on top.