Recipe by Sherrie-pie
As soon as I'm off my diet, I'm going to make this. It's from Leith's Recipe of the Day in the Daily Mail. Notes from the recipe say: blackcurrants are high in vitamin C. And although they can be sharp, that edge is lost in the deliciousness of this crumble. Choose a dish so that the crumble mixture comes to the top, ensuring it browns in the oven. Leith's used 250g hard butter fudge, chopped into small pieces- Sainsbury's Taste the Difference hard butter fudge. The system wouldn't take this descripion.
- 900 g cooking apples
- 225 g black currants, destalked
- 2 ounces demerara sugar
For the crumble
- 225 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 140 g butter
- 45 g granulated sugar
- 250 g hard butter fudge
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and core the apples. Cut into chunks. Mix with the blackcurrants. Add demerara sugar and tip into an ovenproof dish.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Preheat a baking sheet.
- Sift the flour with the salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter and when the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs, mix in the sugar. Stir through the fudge pieces. Sprinkle with mixture over the apples and blackcurrants.
- Bake on the baking sheet for 45 minutes or until hot and slightly browned on top.