Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A yummy dessert using those high in Vitamin C and antioxidant wonders!
Make and share this Apple and Black Currant Crumble Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 6 ounces plain flour (all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 ounces butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 lb apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 ounces black currants
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt, then rub in the butter or margarine.
- Stir in the sugar and oats.
- Spoon half into the base of a greased and lined 9 in square cake tin (pan).
- Mix the apples, cornflour and spices and spread over.
- Top with the Black Currants.
- Spoon over the remaining mixture and level the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 30 minutes until springy.
- Leave to cool, then cut into bars.
Oh my goodness, this is SO good. It has never occurred to me to combine apples and blackcurrants before but it really is a wonderful combo. The apples from our apple tree are on the tart side, and the caramel-y sweetness of the batter worked beautifully with them. I did use a bit more than half of the batter for the base and patted it down to a layer, and then just sprinkled the remaining batter on top of the berries. A delicious recipe - thank you for sharing Linky!
I made this with blueberries and it was wonderful, really easy to make in food processor and really delicious. I may cut back on the sugar next time but all in all my favourite type of dessert.