Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Another good hearty stew.
- 2 lbs boneless chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes (or you can use boneless stew meat)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in beef cubes; cook, stirring often, until browned.
- Add onions; cook, stirring often, until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with flour and salt.
- Gradually add water and apple juice.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir often for 2 minutes.
- Put bay leaf, allspice, and cloves in a double thickness of cheesecloth; tie up corners, using string, to form a bag; add to Dutch oven.
- Lower heat; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- ADd carrots and apples; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until meat, carrots, and potatoes are tender.
- Take out spice bag and throw away.
- Thicken if desired with cornstarch.