Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A tasty loaf for the lunch box, from Super Food Ideas. Suitable for freezing (see directions at end of recipe)
- 412 1⁄2 g apricots in juice (halves)
- 2 (125 g) puree (apple)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind (finely grated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 2⁄3 cup wholemeal self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced).
- Grease a 7cm deep, 8cm x 19cm (base) loaf pan and line with baking paper, allowing 2cm overhang at long ends.
- Drain apricots and place on a plate line with paper towel and pat dry with paper towel and then roughly chop (take them off the paper before chopping though).
- Combine apple puree, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, oil and lemon rind in a jug.
- Sift flours and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and then add puree mixture and stir until just combined (con't over mix).
- Fold in apricots and spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Stand for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- TO FREEZE - slice loaf and wrap individual slices in plastic wra[, then foil and freeze for up to 1 month and thaw in fridge for 1 to 2 hours, I've packed similar loafs frozen in lunch box and by the time you are ready to eat they are defrosted and ready.
Very tasty bread, and moist. I used unsweetened applesauce, so should have added a bit more sugar for sweetness. Will be making this again. May add some chopped nuts, too. Made for Spring 2014 PAC.