Recipe by Impera_Magna
Found in an online search and posted b/c it looks darn tasty and I want to be able to find the recipe next time I need to make a dessert! Recipe from: Stephanie Jaworski/Joy of Baking
Top Review by Elisabetta47
I give this 5 stars because it's a snap to make, very pretty to look at, and yummy good. The only thing I'll change next time is to try a different apple. Perhaps the Granny Smiths I used weren't ripe enough (is that possible?!?) But much as I cooked it, the slices were crunchy instead of soft and mushy as the recipe requires. That said, this is a lovely little tart with all sorts of Autumn flavor.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (140 grams)
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar (powdered or icing, 35 grams)
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (1 stick, 113 grams)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature (227 grams)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar (50 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar (66 grams)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (2 grams)
- 4 cups granny smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices (about 3-4 large apples)
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds (35 grams)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.
- Grease (or spray with Pam) a 9 inch (22 cm) springform pan.
- In the bowl of your food processor place the flour and sugar. Pulse to blend together.
- Add butter and pulse until dough just begins to come together.
- Pat the dough onto the bottom and one inch (2.5 cm) up the sides of the pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator while you make the filling.
- In a food processor process the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Blend in the egg and vanilla extract and process until smooth.
- Remove the crust from the fridge and pour in the filling.
- Return to refrigerator while you prepare the topping.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Toss the sliced apples in the sugar mixture.
- Spoon the apples evenly over the cream cheese layer and sprinkle with almonds.
- Place the springform pan on a larger baking sheet to catch the drips.
- Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown (apples are soft when pierced with a fork), and filling is almost set.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve at room temperature.
- If there are leftovers cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.